College is a major part of most people’s lives.
It’s where memories are made, careers are started, and young adults start to discover their identities and places in life– so finding the right one for you or your child in Pittsburgh is an important task!
With over 100 colleges within a 100-mile radius of Pittsburgh, the college search can be daunting. We made this list to help you start off your journey in finding the right one.
These are our top four colleges in the Pittsburgh area:
(University of Pittsburgh)
- Acceptance Rate: 60%. It’s more difficult to get into than your average college.
- It ranks in the top 25 for best colleges in the US for Kinesiology, Physical Therapy, and Nursing.
- An ACT score of at least 27 is recommended to apply.
- It’s a very urban college. If you like a busy life, this is your college!
- There are just over 34,000 students.
- Cost: Depending on the field you’re enrolling in, in-state tuition ranges from $18,000 to $32,000 per-year (most fields being closer to $18,000). Out-of-state tuition ranges from $32,000 to $41,000 per-year. Room and board is about an additional $11,000 every year.
Link to the school site: https://www.pitt.edu/
(Alliance Defending Freedom)
- Acceptance Rate: Around 64%. Not bad!
- Geneva claims to be a “private, four-year comprehensive Christian college of the arts, sciences, and professional studies”. It’s 35 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, giving it a small-town (or suburban) feel.
- The average high school GPA of a freshman entering Geneva is, on average, 3.4.
- There are just over 1,300 undergraduate students. It’s a small college with big relationship-building potential.
- Cost: Tuition is $26,000 a year. Room and board is an additional $10,000.
Link to the school site: https://www.geneva.edu/
CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
(Carnegie Mellon University)
- Acceptance Rate: 21.7%. A lot of people recommend applying at three different colleges– one being a guaranteed acceptance, another being a college you will probably get into, and another being your challenge school. This is the average person’s challenge school.
- It ranks at the top in math studies and #28 out of 1,700 best nationwide colleges.
- An SAT score of at least 1530 in math and reading is recommended.
- There are just over 6,000 students.
- Cost: Tuition is $54,000 a year. Room and board is an additional $14,000.
Link to the school site: https://www.cmu.edu/
COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF ALLEGHENY COUNTY
(The Talloires Network)
- Acceptance Rate: close to 100%. Perfect if you’re looking to get some credits out of the way for cheap!
- You don’t need any particular score on the ACT, SAT, or LSAT to apply.
- There are over 10,000 students. Perfect for someone looking for a city-dwelling community college location.
- Cost: $3,480/year. Oh, the benefits of community college!
Link to the school site: https://www.ccac.edu/
If you’re going to college in Pittsburgh, finding affordable housing can be a tough search too… But we’re here to help.
Tap here to see our current listings– you never know what you might find!